Possible move to Italy

moving to italy, job advice, visa questions

Moderators: wldspirit, agatha

Possible move to Italy

by kasparj on 12:34 pm, Apr 18 2007

I may have the opportunity to move to Italy to work within the near future. Just about all living expenses will be paid by my American company. I'm not quite sure where I will be located either near Torino or near Napoli. My American company also has an extensive support system in Italy, so they don't just dump you there and you have to figure out how to get the electricity turned on, or fixed.... hee hee, anyone know what I mean??? I have had expeience with my electric razor shutting down an entire floor of an apartment building in Salerno.

My oldest child will be attending 1st grade next year and my youngest will be in pre-K. I have heard, which may or not be true, that the Italian public school system is better than the average US public school. I also remember someone speaking of schools for English speaking children (private) that are also very good. Can any give me some opinions.

Moving for my wife (Irish), children and dogs will be most life changing. For me it will be easier since all I need is good coffee and fresh ingredients to eat well. I think that it will be a excellent life experience for the children.. although maybe I am biased.
kasparj
new arrival

by agatha on 11:32 am, Apr 21 2007

Hello Richard:

I think your family will be delighted with the move. You know how wonderful it is to be in Italy. For an interesting take on education read Tim Parks An Italian Education. Also his book Italian Neighbors.

IMHO I would put them in Italian schools. They are going to be speaking English at home...so start them off being bi-lingual.

Then they can enjoy the cartoons on television!. :) :)

I will tell Harve of your good news.

Keep in touch!
agatha
practically italian
practically italian

Re: Possible move to Italy

by airam on 3:45 pm, Apr 22 2007

I don’t have experience with the Italian school system but if I were in your position I’d enroll my kids in an Italian public school. Children’s brains are like little sponges and without much effort they’ll be speaking Italian very soon. What a wonderful experience for your kids!

Here is an interesting blog by an eight year old American kid who’s spending a year with his grandparents in Tuscany and attending the local public school:

http://kzintoscana.blogspot.com/

Torino or Napoli ... what a tough and diverse choice of locations!

María
(Mom to a bilingual daughter and trilingual son.)
airam
virtual expert
virtual expert

by kasparj on 1:50 pm, Apr 23 2007

Thanks for the replies!!! Overall it will be a life changing experience. This has been something I've wanted to do all my life. I am fortunate that I will have a couple of Italian co-worker friends who live in the Salerno/Napoli area.

I have heard form other people that when returning from Europe they have been dissapointed in the American public school system.

Yes overall kids seem to adapt better than adults.
kasparj
new arrival

by peter on 9:52 am, May 19 2007

Dear Kasparj I shuddered when I read your comments "all I need is good coffee and fresh ingredients" . It was not what you wrote but what you implied that gave the the creepy crawlies......=Peter=
There are excellent websites to post inquiries concerning your family genalogy staffed by individual volunteers who do not charge anything but offer their knowledge to preserve family ties.
peter
practically italian
practically italian

by kasparj on 5:03 pm, May 24 2007

Hey Peter:
Shudder all you want, I will be in Italy drinking good coffee and eating fresh food and I guess you will still be in New York.
kasparj
new arrival

by peter on 6:19 pm, May 24 2007

dear kasparj i hope you and your family enjoy and savor all that Italy has to offer and it does offer much. Lots of luck ! =peter=
There are excellent websites to post inquiries concerning your family genalogy staffed by individual volunteers who do not charge anything but offer their knowledge to preserve family ties.
peter
practically italian
practically italian

by arrianna83 on 1:30 am, May 15 2008

Italian schools are great! Italy have build a nice reputation on their education system...
arrianna83
new arrival

by thomasz on 4:05 am, Jun 05 2008

I would find opportunity education system in Italian.
thomasz
new arrival

by thomasz on 6:50 am, Jun 11 2008

I hope i will come Italy and know about education.
thomasz
new arrival

by andylarks on 10:46 am, Jul 21 2008

Hi kasparj

This might be a little late now, but just in case - I recently came across a site that, for a change, seems to give non-biased, non-sales based advice on moving to Italy. It's got loads of stuff, covering things to watch if you're looking to buy an Italian property, where to buy a car in Italy, details on various regions (mostly central, and a little to the North), and other stuff besides. Thought it might be worth you taking a look?

The site is at http://www.italianpropertyexpert.com.

Good luck, and all the best!

Andy
andylarks
new arrival

by littefrido on 12:05 pm, Dec 09 2008

littefrido
new arrival

Return to living, studying & working in italy