One "insalata", many names: grassetto, valeriana,

fuits, veggies, herbs & more!

Moderators: wldspirit, paz

One "insalata", many names: grassetto, valeriana,

by barbara on 1:15 am, May 09 2007

This is my absolute favorite leafy green in Italy and I've never seen it in the States. It goes by many names, but Valeriana or some variation of that is supposedly the correct name. (I've lived in different regions of northern Italy and it was called by a different name in each region) It is dark green, the color of spinach, has round, clustered leaves, and isn't as bitter as rucola and some other greens. there's a pic at this web site...

http://www.giardinaggio.it/orto/singole ... anella.asp

has anyone grown this in the US or seen it here?
barbara
new arrival

an excerpt from Epicurious.com

by teppi on 4:46 am, May 09 2007

I have not grown this but have bought it many times! I find it only in the upscale markets here in San Francisco, usually packaged together with other baby greens, sometimes by itself in one of those plastic containers, not loose in the produce bins like a head of lettuce. I've always known it to be called mâche but apparently here in the States it is referred to as

Corn salad

Native to Europe, corn salad has nothing to do with corn . . . but it is used in salads. The narrow, dark green leaves of this plant are tender and have a tangy, nutlike flavor. In addition to being used as a salad green, corn salad can also be steamed and served as a vegetable. Though it's often found growing wild in American cornfields, it's considered a "gourmet" green and is therefore expensive and hard to find. It doesn't keep well and should be used within a day or two of purchase. Corn salad should be washed and drained completely of any excess moisture before being stored airtight in a plastic bag. It's also called field salad, field lettuce, lamb's lettuce and mâche.

teppi
virtual tourist
virtual tourist

can it be grown at home?

by barbara on 7:07 pm, May 09 2007

that's good news! thank you for that info Teppi! I haven't ever seen it around here (Midwest), but it helps to know what it's called. Has anyone tried growing it at home? or know where I could get seeds?

Maybe the only option is having someone send me some from Italy?
barbara
new arrival

by teppi on 7:31 pm, May 10 2007

I think if you just do an internet search for "corn salad seeds" or use any of the other common names used here for valeriana, you will get a lot of info (like this link I found http://tinyurl.com/2uher2 ) on where you can purchase them online.

teppi
virtual tourist
virtual tourist

by barbara on 4:31 am, May 18 2007

sei fantastica! I'll let you know how it turns out if I ever actually get around to growing it! (you can't find it in stores in wisconsin, and it looks like you need to plant in the fall, but i'm afraid with the bitter cold here in the winter that it will freeze, so it may just have to wait until I move somewhere warmer!)
barbara
new arrival

Re: One "insalata", many names: grassetto, valeriana,

by larry@methow on 7:04 pm, Jul 23 2008

I purchased seeds from Franchi and planted them in early May and have eaten several cuttings. I provide some shade protection from the mid-late afternoon sun. I'll plant again in August and hope to harvest in October. I'm not sure if they'll winter over where I live in North Central Washington (3-4 feet of snow from December to March), although spinach other lettuce varieties have done so.

Larry
larry@methow
new arrival

Return to italian gardening